Many of Spring/Summer 2012 collections where inspired by the sea, some with pearls and pastels, others with sequined and lace covered sea creatures. The looks overall were unbelievably sexy in silhouette, and lavish in detail. This photo shoot captures some of the looks beautifully. I could help but post it, the clothes, accessories, and photographs themselves are striking.
Thinking about the sea I thought of E.E. Cummings when he wrote:
For whatever we lose (like a you or a me) it’s always ourselves we find in the sea
Saturday has lead this week into a murky, cloudy, and rainy time. Although it’s not the most ideal weather, it does bring out an interesting fashion norm here at Millbrook. Rain boots, in general, are extremely popular here, but Hunter Boots seem to be in their own category. Hunter Boots tend to make an outfit chic, instead of childish. I couldn’t tell you exactly why, but for some reason they just look more polished than the rest. Don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to own Hunter Boots, my rain boots are polka-dot and $10 from Marshalls, but there is no denying Hunters are the “designer” of boots.
Friday was dedicated to our Presidential speeches, and although most people where completely focused on what each candidate had to say (or sing) or what jokes they were cracking, I found myself intrigued by what each person choose to wear. It’s a big day for each of candidates, and if everyone is going to be looking at them, you would imagine they put some thought it what they were going to wear…
Reagan, Dana, and Haley all channeled the masterful dynamic of beauty, grace, and power, comparable to our very own first lady, however, these girls are not here to stand beside their president but be the president.
Maddy Lyons was a little more focused on the costume aspect of hers, regardless of the change, Maddy still looked sharp with a relaxed edge in her dark skinnies and white button down.
Men of Millbrook (sorry for the lack of pictures):
Zach K-C went with the obvious choice of coat and tie, Nate a little less formal than Zach without a jacket, Baird Parent in his usual easy going (but still dress code appropriate) style, and of course Rob Austrian couldn’t help but show up in a Hawaiian shirt…
It’s finally getting warm on campus. The warm sunshine bursting on campus is triggering the popularity of shorts. Shorts are a great thing, they come in thousands of colors, patterns, lengths, and details, they are more convenient than dresses/skirts, and almost everyone looks good in shorts, well at least at Millbrook everyone looks good in shorts. I look forward to photographing the ever increasing shorts, especially in contrast to the maxi-dresses swarming the campus. Now if only i owned a pair of leather shorts…
It’s a new trend, match your colors by not matching… it sounds confusing but it’s true. Normally when you put on color you match it by balancing the bright color with a different color or a neutral, but these days it’s better to stay in the same family. Why not pair your neon rose pants with chili red sweater and coral shirt… This applies to patterns too. Go ahead and put floral on floral, floral on stripes, stripes on plaid, and plaid on herringbone.
That’s the answer. Blue stripes, black stripes, red stripes, white stripes, all stripes. Doesn’t matter what color combination your striped dress is because stripes are everywhere. At least one striped dress is worn everyday, and a majority of the girls on campus own one. However, with winter still at our tails, brown boots and dark jackets are the matching essentials, but I have a sneaky feeling that the boots and jackets will soon be switched out for gold sandals, canvas flats, and light cardigans.
Today I spent sometime on my favorite online magazine/shopping website Net-a-Porter.com and I was thinking about how much I love the way the site is organized. There are all the normal categories, but also events, essentials, and trends. I decided to admire the 25 trends and now I present to you my favorites from each section. It might seem weird that I spent a whole afternoon doing this, judging that I won’t buy any of the clothing, but just looking at some of this apparel is completely inspiring. It reminds me of why I love fashion so much. There are just somethings that are so beautiful and to feel beautiful all you have to do is put them on… ya know? That’s what makes fashion amazing, it’s wearable art. Anyway…. you should all check out the site and just let the inspiration stream through you http://www.net-a-porter.com/am/Content/trends
1) Sugar Rush- Esquivel Saddle perforated leather brogues are to die for. Awesome shoes.
2) Uptown Gypsy - Etro hammered brass earrings, and the Philosphy di Alberta Ferretti printed satin-twill pants
3) Sheer Delights - the obvious answer is the Alexander McQueen Skeleton-weave fine-knit dress…. beyond beautiful, I’m posting a picture.
4) Hot Under the Collar - I really loved all the pieces but the Oscar de la Renta 22-karat gold-plated collar necklace and the Lanvin Swarovski crystal eagle necklace were fab.
5) Lace Up - the first blue Stella McCartney dress is the winner here.
6) Block Party - I want it all, like I’m totally obsessed with all of it, especially the Stella McCartney two-toned sandals
7) The Twinset - I would kill for a Reed Krakoff purse, especially the soft boxer 1
8) Shorts Story - Prabal Gurung is kind of my new obsession, particularly the printed wool-silk blend shorts with the matching silk-georgette top
9) Flower Show - the Elizabeth and James Bruce floral-print silk jacket is beautiful
10) Pretty in Pleats - I have been eying up Jonathan Saunders Avery-printed dress for a while now
11) The Ready to Wear Heel - Okay there is a lot here. I LOVE shoes, I wish i owned all of them… so Miu Miu’s embelished sued sandals, Charolotte Olympia Isla Palm Leaf pumps, Brian Atwood Alima pumps, YSL Obsession satin and suede pumps, and Carven’s printed heels.
12) True Blue - I want the Issa wide-leg crepe jumpsuit
13) Domestic Goddess - Christoper Kane’s Brocade Dress is super cool. Love the shape.
14) The Statement Earring - hands down Marni
15) Game On - Emilio Pucci’s sandals, and, wow, Altuzarra’s coconut printed silk paneled perforated leather dress…. that is some beautiful design.
16) Skirt the Issue - I have a lot here too, mainly because there were just too many beautiful skirts to choose 2 or 3, it was hard enough choosing 6: Versace studded leather pencil skirt, Gucci fringed leather skirt, Burberry Prorsum Raffia trimmed suede pencil skirt, Clements Ribeiro candy printed pencil skirt, Dion Lee asymmetric printed silk blend mini, and Carven’s silk-cady and lace mini. All of these skirts are absolutely stunning.
17) All That Jazz - EVERYTHING Gucci, all of it. so glamorous and luxurious. The whole spring line was killer.
18) The Evening Flat - Roberto Cavalli snake sandals and Proenza Schouler’s leather and canvas sandals.
19) In Detail - Emilio Pucci appliqued silk-charmeuse bright yellow dress is adorable, and the Antonia Berardi gown is actually a piece of art, it’s undeniably beautiful.
20) Go Global - Isabel Marant sequined cotton dress, the Paul + Joe elefant tunic is perfect for summer time, Cobra Society’s loafers, and Bottega Veneta’s hand-embellished dress is gorgeous.
21) Mix it Up - Anya Hinmarch’s mini shoulder bag
22) Texture Expert - Matthew Williamson ikat-print stretch cotton-blend pants
23) In Black and White - Boy by Band of Outsiders leather-trimmed cotton-poplin dress, perfect for dresscode too!
24) Techno Tropics - Anything Mary Katrantzou is beyond beautiful, although her dress are all way out of my budget and sell out in a day. Preen also has a really cute silk-satin yellow top.
The chime of the bell every Thursday at 5:45 may lead to a couple groans and complaints, but in my world that sweet little noise represents something extremely positive. Formal Dinner is when everyone in the school looks their best, maybe it’s because of the high-heels and dresses, but really I love to see the Millbrook boys. It’s true, ask any girl, that boys look 10 times better when they are dressed up. A man in a sharp suit, is an attractive man, no way to deny that. A suit exudes a type of confidence, and it’s awesome. Check out these GQ men for some tips, also the write-ups are really funny on this so you should all read it… and Ed Westick’s tie is killer.
So I guess I love Formal Dinner so much because it is when the students look the best, inside and out. Girls feel confident in heels, and they look confident in them. Boys look sharp and dapper in blazers/suits. Formal Dinners should be a time to shine, not to whine.